If you are a current or past ASTC Diversity and Leadership Development Fellow, we want to hear your story. You are invited to be a part of ASTC’s Diversity Fellows Legacy Video. This video will be a lasting artifact to celebrate the legacy of this cornerstone program. Early submissions will be part of a short video shown at the ASTC Annual Conference in Tampa, Florida, in September, but if you would like to be part of the full video, send us your submission by November 1. The program has been making a difference in the field for 16 years, and we would love to have each and every one of you contribute your story to this project.
Below you will find detailed instructions and tips for submitting your video segment. You are encouraged to answer at least three questions from the list below on camera. If you would like to record each answer separately, feel free to do so. You can submit as many video segments as you like; just make sure you only submit the ones you want us to consider for the final cut. ASTC will use clips from multiple videos for the final film.
Videos should be as high quality as possible but do not need to be professionally done. (However, if you have professional resources available, please use them.) Your video should be in MOV or MP4 format when complete.
Be creative and have fun with this! You may choose to film your video sitting in your museum, outside in your favorite community spot, or in your home. If you prefer to talk face-to-face with someone rather than videotaping yourself, email Ann Hernandez, and she will gladly record you during a videoconference discussion.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOUR RECORDING
STEP 1: Smile, say hello, and tell us:
- Your name
- Your current position and organization
- The year(s) you were a Fellow.
STEP 2: Answer at least three of the questions below:
- What is your museum career story? How has the ASTC Diversity and Leadership Development Fellows Program had an impact on your path?
- How did the Fellows Program help you develop connections, both personal and professional?
- Why do you think the Fellows Program is important for our field?
- Would you send someone you supervise to the Fellowship experience? What would you hope they gain and return with?
- What are the top three things you have learned through the Fellows Program?
- What is your favorite memory about being a Diversity Fellow?
STEP 3: Upload your video to ASTC’s Dropbox:
- Make sure your video is in MOV or MP4 format. (Tip: There are online conversion tools if needed.)
- Title your video with your full name.
- If you are submitting one video per question, please title each with your name and the corresponding question number (e.g., Jane Smith-1, Jane Smith-2).
- Deadline for submissions is November 1, 2016.
Tips for a great video:
- Stabilize the camera with a tripod.
- Record in an area with lots of light.
- Listen carefully for any background noise, including fans and other ambient sounds before you record.
- Do a test run.
- Leave a couple of beats of empty sound before and after you talk in order to give space for editing.
- Make sure your microphone is picking up your voice completely. (We can’t fix a quiet recording, but we can dial down a loud one.)
- Check that the angle of your camera is directly facing you.
- You should be in the center of the frame, with the bottom of the frame at the center of your chest and the top of the frame slightly above the top of your head.
- Smile! And don’t sweat the small mistakes. (We will be editing.)
Please contact Ann Hernandez with any questions.