| | | | Management | |
Do you want to post a position in the ASTC Job Bank? Learn how here.
Posted September 21, 2018
Catawba Science Center
Hickory, North Carolina
The Executive Director leads the staff, board and volunteers of Catawba Science Center (CSC) and embodies the mission to change lives and inspire learning through science and wonder. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director’s responsibilities include strategic and operational administration of CSC; the creation of institutional vision, exhibit experiences and resource development, collaborations and team leadership to best serve the growth of CSC.
Leadership and Management
- Develops, maintains, and supports a strong Board of Directors and build Board involvement with strategic direction
- Manages the CSC staff and volunteers to achieve tactical and strategic goals in a timely and resource-efficient manner
- Ensures programmatic excellence
- Provides professional development opportunities for staff and Board
- Evaluates various CSC programs and selects those with the largest impact
- Creates clear monthly communications, to include key metrics and financial indicators, for the Board of Directors
- Expands local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and fund new exhibit opportunities
- Establishes strong, dynamic, and productive relationships in the regional philanthropic community including individuals, foundations, and program officers
- Seeks available funding from governmental sources
- Develops a comprehensive marketing and communications plan—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand
- Creates a realistic budget plan for Board approval by the end of the fiscal year
- Meets with the Executive Committee each month to review budget performance and forecast
- Communicates progress against the budget plan in a transparent manner
- Finalizes sales and lease contracts
Partnership and Collaboration
- Partners with community education systems to formally integrate CSC programs in our community
- Attends Association of Science and Technology Centers, Association of Children’s Museums conferences or equivalent
- Promotes our mission throughout the community
- Collaborates with local non-profit organizations and regional science centers to maximize CSC’s community impact
Qualifications / Experience
The Executive Director will be passionate about the role of informal learning and science museums as critical elements of a strong community. Successful candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of senior executive experience
- Advanced degree and non-profit management experience preferred
- Track record of effectively leading and scaling an outcomes-based organization and staff
- Ability to cite specific examples of having developed strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven decisions
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people and organizations
- Demonstrated interest in science
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Relocation to Catawba County, North Carolina is required (relocation assistance is available)
- Cover letter and resume required
Please submit all applications and inquiries via email to CSCEDSearch@gmail.com.
Posted September 18, 2018
Vice President, Community Engagement
Science World British Columbia
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reports to: President & CEO
Science World is a BC-based charitable organization that engages the people of British Columbia in hands-on, experiential science learning.
Our mission is to ignite wonder and empower dreams through science and nature. Our vision is that within a generation, Canada will be a country of thriving, sustainable communities rooted in scientific literacy, technological innovation and a deep connection to nature.
A rare opportunity to significantly impact STEM literacy across BC
Well known for fun and flair, Science World makes science learning approachable and captivating through interactive exhibits and hands-on programming. As Vancouver’s science museum and a vital community resource for all British Columbians, we have earned a solid reputation as an experiential learning leader. Over the past year, Science World went through an extensive consultation process and emerged with a bold new strategy aimed at catalyzing a thriving future through deep collaboration and significant scaling of STEAM (the “A” added for Art & Design) learning across the province.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Vice President of Community Engagement will play a pivotal role in ensuring the success of these collaboration and scaling efforts. The role will provide overall leadership and direction in content development and community partnerships both at our TELUS World of Science building in Vancouver and through outreach programs across the province.
This is a rare and an exciting opportunity for a deeply collaborative leader who will work to support teams, processes and initiatives in service to building community and moving towards our bold new mission and vision. The Vice President will be a member of the Senior Leadership Team and will play a critical leadership role in one of the organization’s key strategic pillar initiatives – Symbiosis: A STEAM Learning Ecosystem for British Columbia. Symbiosis is an emerging learning ecosystem, the first of its kind in Canada, dedicated to connecting classrooms with communities through a robust provincial network of partners and learning opportunities.
Externally, the Vice President of Community Engagement will represent Science World as an engaged leader in the areas of education, science communication and community engagement, including liaising with a broad range of partners, collaborators, donors and community leaders.
With deep knowledge and extensive experience in the field, our ideal candidate has an infectious passion for community collaboration and STEAM education, as well as an accomplished ability to inspire others. This individual brings a track record of success in community-organization applied to connecting and scaling efforts across communications, programs and organizations. Additionally, this Vice President will be someone with a strong competency in building teams, coaching senior staff and supporting creative teams.
We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, a fun, vibrant team environment and, an opportunity to make a significant impact.
A full description of this role is available on Science World’s website.
Posted August 21, 2018
Senior Manager, International Sales
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Science North’s vision is to be the leader among science centres in providing inspirational, educational and entertaining science experiences. As Canada’s second largest science centre, Science North operates a multi-faceted operation in Sudbury, Ontario along with a thriving International Sales business. We pride ourselves as being recognized leaders in our cutting-edge and unique approaches with award-winning and robust traveling exhibits, acclaimed multimedia attractions, in-house large format film production and consulting services.
As the Senior Manager of International Sales you will use your exceptional sales and leadership abilities to drive sales and promote operational excellence and profitability for the entire external sales portfolio. For full details or to apply, visit sciencenorth.ca/employment. Deadline for applications is September 4, 2018. Science North is committed to an inclusive workplace and invites applications from all qualified individuals to join our diverse team. Accommodations are available upon request in all aspects of Science North’s selection process. We thank all interested candidates; only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Science North is a registered charity. Science North is an agency of the Government of Ontario.