Mission: “To spark curiosity, ignite imagination, power exploration.”
The Durango Discovery Museum, or Powerhouse Science Center, opened in 2011. Located in the Durango Powerhouse building, one of the country’s first AC power plants, the Durango Discovery Museum grew out of the Children’s Museum of Durango, which purchased the Durango Powerhouse after outgrowing its original space. The museum is in the midst of a three-phase expansion and is currently fundraising for Phase III.
The Durango Discovery Museum has a wealth of programs and events that look at energy – fitting, given the museum’s location. These programs include:
- Pub Science and Trivia Nights are adult-only evening events. Pub Science is a free, 21+, monthly lecture series paired with local craft beer.
- Camp Discovery summer camps are week-long, themed youth summer camps, featuring topics like Cyclin’ Science, Mythbusters, and MacGyverology.
- The Powerhouse Geek Squad travels to schools for educational assemblies.
- The StudioLab: Art + Science Summer Collaborative invites an artist-scientist team in each summer to work on a project together at the museum.
- Yes You Can is a three-day summer camp for elementary school teachers who want to improve their science teaching skills.
The museum also hosts afterschool programs and has a successful Science Career Ladder program, modeled after the program created by the New York Hall of Science.
The Durango Discovery Museum is open daily. Visit durangodiscovery.org for more information.