In October 2001, ASTC’s Board launched a field-wide Equity and Diversity Initiative to attempt to bring balance in the disparity between the diversity of our society and the diversity of professional staff, audience, and board members of the science center field. The primary activity for addressing this disparity is the ASTC Diversity and Leadership Development Fellows Program, originally designed to support the professional growth and retention of professionals of color currently working in the field. In response to the ever-changing nature of equity and diversity issues, eligibility criteria have been expanded and now include science center professionals from ethnic/racial minority backgrounds; with disabilities; and who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, or asexual (LGBTQIA). To date, more than 160 science center professionals from nearly 90 science centers and museums in the United States and Canada have participated in the program.
Eligibility: Individuals who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply to the program:
- Identifies with one or more of the following underrepresented groups: racial/ethnic minority, LGBTQIA, or person with a disability
- Has been employed at present institution full-time for at least one year
- Holds a mid-level management position (i.e., non-entry level)
- Demonstrates a desire to advance her/his career in the science center/museum field
- Expresses an interest in supporting equity and diversity in the science center/museum field
- NEW Fellows: Has not attended an ASTC Annual Conference in the past three years
- ALUMNI Fellows: Did not receive alumni fellowship in the previous year, and has/will participate as a speaker in an ASTC Annual Conference session.
The application process for 2018 will open in April!
Check back here for more information and to apply online.