Since 1985, ASTC has worked to raise member institutions' awareness of equity issues, and to encourage and support efforts to improve services to segments of the community that have been traditionally underrepresented in museums: members of ethnic and racial minority groups, women, and people with disabilities.
Vision: a field in which a commitment to equity and broad public access has been institutionalized
Objective*: to aggressively pursue equity and diversity
- to assist new Equity/Diversity Committee in developing an action plan for presentation to the Board
- to launch communications campaign targeted to ASTC members
- to continue Dialogues on Diversity Conference Fellowship Program
- to increase the accessibility of science centers and ASTC programs and services
- to research data on diversity in the field
*Objective and Strategies from ASTC's 2000 Strategic Plan.