The ASTC Conference Program Planning Committee is responsible for strategically leading the conference. This responsibility includes implementing this charter, reviewing proposals for future conference sites and making a recommendation to ASTC’s Board of Directors, setting the overall goals for the direction of the conference, reviewing session proposals, and providing guidance to ASTC staff as needed. The Committee will ensure that the structure and content of ASTC Annual Conferences are closely aligned with ASTC strategic priorities and responsive to the diverse needs and capabilities of ASTC members.
- ASTC is valued as the first choice for professional development among the current and prospective leaders of the field.
- The ASTC Annual Conference is accessible and relevant to the various stakeholders in the field.
- All Annual Conference programming is recognized for its quality and excellence.
- ASTC Annual Conference programs and tracks support and align with the comprehensive ASTC Strategic Framework.
- Through the ASTC Annual Conference, ASTC member institutions acquire the trained leadership and staff needed to accomplish missions and add value to communities.
Roles and General Responsibilities:
Develop the meeting format including coordinating the needs of internal committees and interest groups.
- Review conference location RFPs and recommend the most appropriate conference site to ASTC’s Board of Directors.
- Review and select abstracts to be presented, with an understanding that there must be a balance between research and practice.
- Oversee/coordinate session development process.
- Mentor and guide session presenters.
- Plan and implement sessions for first-time conference attendees and successful session proposal development.
- Annually evaluate the meeting’s effectiveness and economics, and recommend enhancements.
- Advance ASTC’s reputation as the leader in professional development for the science-technology center and informal science education fields.
- Continually raise professional development standards by providing outstanding conference sessions which will benefit the field.
- Be the point of contact to ASTC staff regarding questions about session content and faculty.
Timing and Communication:
The Committee will meet three times annually in preparation for annual conferences and by conference call or otherwise as deemed necessary to meet responsibilities in appropriate timeframes. In addition to regularly scheduled meetings, the Committee should communicate regularly in order to maximize its impact. Meeting minutes should be forwarded to the Executive Committee following each meeting.
The CPPC Committee chair (or designee) will also represent the CPPC Committee in regular sessions of the ASTC Leadership and Field Development Committee to ensure the relationship between professional development priorities and the annual conference planning process.
Structure and Membership:
The Committee will be comprised of no more than twenty-one members with terms of up to six years. The members of the Committee shall be appointed (or replaced) by the Board on recommendation of the chairman of the CPPC Committee or his/her designee. The Committee will endeavor to ensure that membership reflects the widest possible range of professional expertise, as well as geographical representation, with special attention paid to international representation. Committee members should have no other relationships to ASTC (consulting, advisory or other compensatory fees) that may interfere with the exercise of their independent judgment.
Procedures and Administration:
- Meetings. A majority of the members of the Committee shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business, and the affirmative vote of a majority of those present shall be necessary for any action by the Committee. The Committee shall keep such records of its meetings as it shall deem appropriate.
- Subcommittees. The Committee may form and delegate authority to one or more subcommittees (including a subcommittee consisting of a single member), as it deems appropriate from time to time under the circumstances.
- Reports to Board. The Committee shall report regularly to the Board. The Committee should review with the full Board any issues that arise with respect to the Conference issues.
- Charter. At least annually, the Committee shall review and reassess the adequacy of this Charter and recommend any proposed changes to the Board for approval.
- Investigations. The Committee shall have the authority to conduct or authorize investigations into any matters within the scope of its responsibilities as it shall deem appropriate, including the authority to request any officer, employee or advisor of ASTC to meet with the Committee or any advisors engaged by the Committee.
- Annual Self-Evaluation. At least annually, the Committee shall evaluate its performance. The Chairman of the Committee, together with ASTC’s Board Chair, shall determine the form and nature of the annual self-evaluation. The Chairman of the Committee shall report the results of the evaluation to the Board.