Ensure that ASTC programs and services incorporate a global perspective and support the diverse needs and interests of ASTC’s global membership and are closely aligned with ASTC’s strategic framework and action plan.
Through the work of the Global Committee, the ASTC Board and ASTC members will support and actively promote a uniformly global perspective to the work of the informal science center field as reflected in choices of science center activities, partnerships established, and support offered to one another across the diverse ASTC global membership. ASTC will offer trusted platforms for dialogue, education, and engagement with respect to the science underpinnings of critical societal issues. Its members will be viewed as the first choice in achieving global perspective in science engagement.
Roles and General Responsibilities:
- Identify the priority (and continuously changing) global issues that ASTC and its members might collectively address
- Identify and plan for ASTC member participation in relevant international events, conferences, summits, negotiations (as observers and/or active participants
- Identify and promote opportunities for engagement among members through improved dialogue, education and partnerships in these priority areas
- Explore opportunities for partnership with regional associations in support of these activities
- Establish and monitor appropriate benchmarks for success in ASTC goals for expanded global engagement
- Define and monitor ASTC’s contribution to the work of the IPC
- Raise awareness of the international role of ASTC
- Assist ASTC to develop our membership in all parts of the world
- Members will take personal responsibility and leadership in the implementation of parts/or all of the above.
Structure and Membership:
The Committee will be comprised of no fewer than five members with terms of three years. The members of the Committee shall be appointed (or replaced) by the Board on recommendation of the chairman of the Global Committee or his/her designee. The Committee will endeavor to ensure that membership reflects the widest possible range of professional expertise within the field. Committee members should have no other relationships to ASTC (consulting, advisory or other compensatory fees) that may interfere with the exercise of their independent judgment, but may serve on other ASTC Committees.
Procedures and Administration
Meetings. A majority of the members of the Committee will constitute a quorum for the transaction of business, and the affirmative vote of a majority of those present shall be necessary for any action by the Committee. The Committee will keep such records of its meetings as it shall deem appropriate.
- Ad-hoc taskforces. The Committee may form and delegate authority to one or more task forces(including those consisting of a single member), as it deem appropriate from time to time under the circumstances.
- Reports to Board. The Committee will report regularly to the Board.
- Charter. At least annually, the Committee will review and reassess the adequacy of this Charter and recommend any proposed changes to the Board for approval.
- Annual Self-Evaluation. At least annually, the Committee will evaluate its performance. The Chairman of the Committee, together with ASTC’s Board Chair, will determine the form and nature of the annual self-evaluation. The Chairman of the Committee will report the results of the evaluation to the Board.
Timing and Communication:
The Committee will hold two physical meetings (one at conference and one at the occasion of an IPC or other Regional network meeting as appropriate), and two conference calls in between the physical meetings. Additional conference calls with an ad-hoc sub group on specific subjects when needed.