IN THIS ISSUE
Being a successful science center takes more than just a flair for creating great exhibits and programs—you also have to get people through your doors. Science center marketing professionals today face many challenges, from limited marketing budgets to increased competition for potential visitors’ time. It takes a solid understanding of your audience, knowledge of current technologies and marketing tools, and, most of all, creativity to succeed.
In this issue, science center professionals discuss how they’ve created a buzz and built a loyal following. They share their most creative marketing ideas, candidly discuss their greatest successes and failures, and share lessons learned from all different kinds of approaches and campaigns, from print to broadcast to social media and more.
- A New Era for Marketing at Science Centers, by Douglas Young
- Greatest Marketing Hits (and Misses): Five Case Studies of Failure and Success ,by Kristin Leigh, Amy Carr, Kim Hunter, Leigh Ann McDonald Woodruff, Miri Gad, and Alison Pidskalny
- Collaborate to Build Your Brand and Increase Impact, by Lauren Frieband
- The Fine Line Between Creating Curiosity and Creating Controversy, by Jason Bosher
- LIKE It or Not, Social Media Matters, by Kim May
- It’s All About the Hashtag, by Maria Elisa M. Nicandro
- From Scratch-Off Ads to Gilded Billboards: Museums’ Most Creative Marketing Campaigns, by Abraham Ritchie, Jason Bosher, Caitlin Caswell, and Vesna Pajić
- Get Added Exposure with Contests, by Michael Steger
(Additional marketing success stories are available here.)
- From the CEO: #mysciencemuseum: Stories that Matter
- Our Boards in Action with Outgoing and Incoming Board Chairs Chevy Humphrey and Linda Conlon
- Q&A with Lucianne Walkowicz: Taking Science on the Road