| | | Exhibit/Curatorial | | |
Do you want to post a position in the ASTC Job Bank? Learn how here.
Posted April 5, 2019
Collection Manager, Vertebrate Paleontology
Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History
New Haven, Connecticut
Salary Range: $60,000–$77,800
General Purpose: Reporting to the Curator-in-Charge of the Division, under the direction of Vertebrate Paleontology (VP) Curators, and in conjunction with the Director of Collections and Research, the VP Collection Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the VP Division, with the primary goal of promoting the use, maintenance, and growth of Vertebrate Paleontology collections at the Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History (YPM).
- Manages all aspects of specimen loans, including consultation with Preparation Lab to ensure safe packing and shipping, and tracks internal and external usage statistics, including frequency of taxon/specimen use.
- Manages the housing of specimens and the arrangement of collections for long-term preservation and usefulness; oversees collections facilities, access requests, and security.
- Oversees cataloging and digitization efforts for incoming collections, backlogs, loans, and research or teaching requests; promotes dissemination of specimen information through on-line collections portals including image databases and 3-D libraries.
- Provides taxonomic identifications of specimens and assesses their associated data for accuracy and historical context, including promoting continuous upgrades to specimen identifications and nomenclature.
- Oversees efforts to improve specimen organization, preservation, and conservation, in consultation with the Chief Preparator.
- Manages specimen acquisition, accessioning, permitting and reporting processes associated with acquisitions, incoming collections; manages international, federal, and state compliance issues related to collecting, import/export, and transportation of collections for acquisitions and loans.
- Coordinates with Development staff on fund-raising opportunities; writes collections-improvement grants to improve curation, accessibility, and preservation of VP collections.
- Plans and develops exhibits, including writing interpretive labels, and assists with selecting specimens for display; consults with Chief Preparator on specimen preparation, mount making, exhibit maintenance (e.g., cleaning, repair) and installation.
- Leads field expeditions, where 3–5 mile hikes over rough terrain are common.
- Uses various industrial equipment to conduct duties. Operates gas-powered and pneumatic saws, jack hammers, and tools for removal of rock matrix in the field and laboratory.
- Represents VP Division on YPM committees.
The Peabody Museum is preparing to embark on a four-year expansion project, thanks to a $160 million gift made by Edward P. Bass ’67. The project will allow the Peabody to add 50% more gallery space and will enhance the experience of museum-goers, students, and researchers alike. For more information on the expansion project, please visit http://peabodyevolved.yale.edu.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at http://bit.ly/2HA1yiz. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
AA/EEO – M/F/Disability/Veteran
Posted April 4, 2019
Director of Facilities & Exhibits
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Salary Range: $39,000–$44,000
Kaleideum is recruiting a Director of Facilities & Exhibits to lead Kaleideum’s exhibits project and team management, strategic plan leadership, and oversee facilities management all while helping us plan to move our two campuses into one brand new building in downtown Winston-Salem in the fall of 2022! Applicants should be resilient, insightful, innovative, accountable, and relationship-driven with a desire to learn new things and remain current on exhibits trends in the field. The successful candidate will be a savvy project and team leader, an emotionally mature thought partner, and be passionate about engaging audiences in museum environments that are dynamic, exciting, visually impressive, and fun! For more about this position, click here.
Posted April 2, 2019
Montshire Museum of Science
Salary Range: $35,000–37,000
The Montshire Museum of Science is seeking a full-time Exhibits Coordinator. This position is responsible for coordinating and maintaining tasks, timelines, and budgets pertaining to the development, installation, and repair of exhibits at the Montshire Museum of Science. The Exhibits Coordinator will also participate in the development and maintenance of exhibits. Details at www.montshire.org/jobs.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted March 5, 2019
Curator, Natural Science
Oakland Museum of California
The Curator of Natural Science researches and develops exhibitions and core gallery installations that meet the Museum’s community engagement, social impact and business goals; engages the diversity of Oakland residents; and oversees the research and development of the natural science collections.
To apply and obtain additional information regarding the Museum and the position, please visit careers-museumca.icims.com/jobs/1294/curator%2c-natural-science*/job.