| | | Exhibit/Curatorial | | |
Do you want to post a position in the ASTC Job Bank? Learn how here.
Posted June 14, 2019
Vice President, Design & Exhibits
Salary Range: $130,000–$160,000
Shedd Aquarium seeks an experienced and creative leader as Vice President, Design & Exhibits. This position provides strategic vision and effective leadership to teams in communication design, integrated media, as well as in exhibit and experience design. As a key leader of Shedd’s in-house design agency, the VP coordinates the creation of media and experiences for the public—collaborating within their teams and across a broad spectrum of departments at the aquarium. The VP provides leadership in the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation to ensure consistency with Shedd’s experiential brand principles and excellence in guest experiences.
To learn more: sheddaquarium.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a23xwy5t9qoo.
Posted May 24, 2019
Draper Natural History Museum
at Buffalo Bill Center of the West
Salary Range: $70,000–$80,000
We are seeking a dynamic leader who believes passionately in both environmental education and building partnerships with the scientific community to become the next Curator of the Draper Natural History Museum. The successful candidate will bring a passion for telling the story of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem to more than 170,000 visitors a year. Working with a dynamic advisory board and talented staff, the curator will envision ways to expand the mission of the Draper within and outside the walls of the museum building.
This position is a great opportunity for someone who enjoys directing research, exhibition, and program while also providing strategic leadership on environmental education.
The Buffalo Bill Center of the West is a leader in connecting people to the stories of the American West through the operation of the Draper Museum of Natural History, the Buffalo Bill Museum, the Whitney Gallery of Western Art, the Cody Firearms Museum, the Plains Indian Museum, and the McCracken Research Library. Located in beautiful Cody, Wyoming (a short drive from the spectacular eastern entrance to Yellowstone National Park), the museum is a national leader in teaching western history, science, art, and cultural heritage.
The Center offers competitive salary; full benefits package to include vacation, retirement plan, health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance; and other benefits. For a detailed job description, refer to the Employment Opportunities portion of the BBCW’s website: centerofthewest.org.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of application to include current cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Posted May 7, 2019
Museum Curator – Exhibits
Imperial Centre for the Arts & Sciences (Children’s Museum & Science Center)
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Salary Range: $42,357.95–$63,536.92
The City of Rocky Mount Parks & Recreation Department is accepting applications for a full-time Curator of Exhibits for the Children’s Museum & Science Center (CMSC). Part of the Imperial Centre for the Arts & Sciences, the CMSC features a live animal gallery, planetarium, traveling exhibits, interactive permanent exhibits, and more.
This position is responsible for developing and maintaining the museum’s temporary and permanent exhibits and displays and the care of the museum’s live animals.
The duties of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Develops, installs, repairs, and maintains museum exhibits and equipment.
- Coordinates the shipping and receiving of traveling exhibits, exhibit components, exhibit related materials, and supplies; installs, maintains, and dismantles traveling exhibits.
- Works with Museum Director to plan and develop permanent and traveling exhibits.
- Assists with the development of the annual budget; maintains budget account balances for exhibit related accounts.
- Oversees the daily care of live animals; coordinates activities with veterinarians; makes repairs to life support equipment and animal habitats.
- Designs or obtains designs for new exhibits; redesigns or refurbishes existing exhibits; secures and maintains storage for exhibits and exhibit materials.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent combination of education and experience, preferably in museum studies, graphic or industrial design, or related.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position.
- Possession of a current and valid driver’s license and an active and consecutive three-year verifiable driving history. (Must be able to be licensed in the State of North Carolina).
To learn more and apply, visit www.rockymountnc.gov and www.governmentjobs.com/careers/rockymountnc/jobs/2426720/museum-curator/apply?page=2&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs.
Posted April 5, 2019
Collection Manager, Vertebrate Paleontology
Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History
New Haven, Connecticut
Salary Range: $60,000–$77,800
General Purpose: Reporting to the Curator-in-Charge of the Division, under the direction of Vertebrate Paleontology (VP) Curators, and in conjunction with the Director of Collections and Research, the VP Collection Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the VP Division, with the primary goal of promoting the use, maintenance, and growth of Vertebrate Paleontology collections at the Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History (YPM).
- Manages all aspects of specimen loans, including consultation with Preparation Lab to ensure safe packing and shipping, and tracks internal and external usage statistics, including frequency of taxon/specimen use.
- Manages the housing of specimens and the arrangement of collections for long-term preservation and usefulness; oversees collections facilities, access requests, and security.
- Oversees cataloging and digitization efforts for incoming collections, backlogs, loans, and research or teaching requests; promotes dissemination of specimen information through on-line collections portals including image databases and 3-D libraries.
- Provides taxonomic identifications of specimens and assesses their associated data for accuracy and historical context, including promoting continuous upgrades to specimen identifications and nomenclature.
- Oversees efforts to improve specimen organization, preservation, and conservation, in consultation with the Chief Preparator.
- Manages specimen acquisition, accessioning, permitting and reporting processes associated with acquisitions, incoming collections; manages international, federal, and state compliance issues related to collecting, import/export, and transportation of collections for acquisitions and loans.
- Coordinates with Development staff on fund-raising opportunities; writes collections-improvement grants to improve curation, accessibility, and preservation of VP collections.
- Plans and develops exhibits, including writing interpretive labels, and assists with selecting specimens for display; consults with Chief Preparator on specimen preparation, mount making, exhibit maintenance (e.g., cleaning, repair) and installation.
- Leads field expeditions, where 3–5 mile hikes over rough terrain are common.
- Uses various industrial equipment to conduct duties. Operates gas-powered and pneumatic saws, jack hammers, and tools for removal of rock matrix in the field and laboratory.
- Represents VP Division on YPM committees.
The Peabody Museum is preparing to embark on a four-year expansion project, thanks to a $160 million gift made by Edward P. Bass ’67. The project will allow the Peabody to add 50% more gallery space and will enhance the experience of museum-goers, students, and researchers alike. For more information on the expansion project, please visit http://peabodyevolved.yale.edu.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at http://bit.ly/2HA1yiz. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
AA/EEO – M/F/Disability/Veteran
Posted April 4, 2019
Director of Facilities & Exhibits
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Salary Range: $39,000–$44,000
Kaleideum is recruiting a Director of Facilities & Exhibits to lead Kaleideum’s exhibits project and team management, strategic plan leadership, and oversee facilities management all while helping us plan to move our two campuses into one brand new building in downtown Winston-Salem in the fall of 2022! Applicants should be resilient, insightful, innovative, accountable, and relationship-driven with a desire to learn new things and remain current on exhibits trends in the field. The successful candidate will be a savvy project and team leader, an emotionally mature thought partner, and be passionate about engaging audiences in museum environments that are dynamic, exciting, visually impressive, and fun! For more about this position, click here.
Posted March 5, 2019
Curator, Natural Science
Oakland Museum of California
The Curator of Natural Science researches and develops exhibitions and core gallery installations that meet the Museum’s community engagement, social impact and business goals; engages the diversity of Oakland residents; and oversees the research and development of the natural science collections.
To apply and obtain additional information regarding the Museum and the position, please visit careers-museumca.icims.com/jobs/1294/curator%2c-natural-science*/job.