In October 2001, ASTC’s Board launched a field-wide Equity and Diversity Initiative to attempt to bring balance in the disparity between the diversity of our society and the diversity of professional staff, audience, and board members of the science center field. The primary activity for addressing this disparity is the ASTC Diversity and Leadership Development Fellows Program, originally designed to support the professional growth and retention of professionals of color currently working in the field. In response to the ever-changing nature of equity and diversity issues, eligibility criteria have been expanded and now include science center professionals from ethnic/racial minority backgrounds; with disabilities; and who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, or asexual (LGBTQIA). To date, more than 200 science center professionals from nearly 100 science centers and museums in the United States and Canada have participated in the program.
Fellows selected in this competitive application process will receive more than 25 hours of year-round, customized professional development; a free registration for the 2019 ASTC Annual Conference in Toronto; reimbursement of up to $1,500 in conference-related travel, lodging, and meals; and more.
Eligibility: Individuals who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply to the program
- Identify with one or more of the following underrepresented groups: racial/ethnic minority, LGBTQIA, or person with a disability
- Are employed at an ASTC-member institution in Canada or the United States and live in one of those countries
- Have been employed at their present institution full-time for at least one year prior to date of application submission
- Hold a mid-level management position (i.e., non-entry level)
- Demonstrate a desire to advance their career in the science center/museum field
- Express an interest in supporting equity and diversity in the science center/museum field
- NEW Fellows: Have not attended an ASTC Annual Conference in the past three years
(Note: one spot will be open for an applicant who has attended the conference in recent years.)
- ALUMNI Fellows: Did not receive alumni fellowship in the previous year and have been included in an ASTC Annual Conference session proposal, this year or prior years.
Applications are closed for 2019. Many thanks to all who applied. Applicants will be notified of results at the end of June.