The International Science Center & Science Museum Day (ISCSMD) is a yearly, global event illustrating the impact and reach of all the world’s science centers and science museums. It demonstrates the role these institutions play with their millions of visitors in raising awareness of—and engagement in—sustainable development and the solutions to worldwide challenges such as climate change, human health, energy, waste, water shortages, gender, oceans, and other global issues.
ISCSMD is held on November 10 annually, in conjunction with the World Science Day for Peace and Development. Science centers and science museums worldwide take the opportunity of this day to celebrate and promote their missions through widely diverse informal science education and engagement activities addressing the critical topics articulated in the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) adopted by the world’s nations in late 2015.
ISCSMD is a collaborative initiative of UNESCO, ASTC, and these science center networks:
- Asia Pacific Network of Science & Technology Centres (ASPAC)
- Ecsite, the European network of science centres and museums
- NAMES, the North Africa and Middle East Science centers network
- India’s National Council of Science Museums (NCSM)
- RedPOP, a network of science and technology centers and programs in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Southern African Association of Science and Technology Centres (SAASTEC)