With support from Lyda Hill Philanthropies and the IF/THEN® Initiative, ASTC is awarding Gender Equity Engagement Grants to museums, public libraries, science centers, zoos, aquariums, public gardens, and other cultural institutions in the United States to support projects that address gender equity in museum content, including efforts to increase visual representation through the use of photos and videos featuring women and gender minorities.
Grantees will select a project from the IF/THEN® Project Library to replicate at their own institution. Grants will be awarded on a rolling basis beginning in March 2022.
About the Engagement Grants
Awardees will receive funding of up to $4,000 to support projects that include a major display component from the IF/THEN® Project Library. This includes banners, exhibit panels, posters, video screens, or other large format displays that are placed in high traffic areas of the institution and/or used as a key element of outreach events.
The IF/THEN® Project Library includes projects developed by previous recipients of IF/THEN® Gender Equity Grants. Applicants for Engagement Grants are required to choose a project to replicate from this library for their proposal. Grant awardees may customize the projects in the library to fit their spaces and incorporate institutional logos and branding as needed provided all guidelines on a particular project are followed. An instructional PDF accompanies each project and outlines modifications, suggestions for implementation, and other information about each project.
Partnership support opportunity
Approximately ten of the grantees will be awarded up to $2,000 in additional support to foster a community partnership to engage local youth with the project and the IF/THEN® Collection. Partners should be community-based youth-serving organizations. Requests for partnership support will be evaluated on depth of engagement and audience reach.
- Applications will be accepted and approved on a rolling basis through September 30, 2022.
- Awardees will be notified within two weeks of submitting an application.
- The major display component must be complete no later than November 4, 2022.
- Project final reports will be due within 30 days of completion. All final reports must be submitted no later than November 30, 2022.
Museums, public libraries, science centers, zoos, aquariums, public gardens, and other cultural institutions located in the United States, including territories and tribal lands, as defined by the Institute of Museum and Library Services, are eligible to apply for this funding opportunity. Applicants do not need to be ASTC members. Organizations that have previously received more than $5,000 in IF/THEN® Gender Equity Grant funding are not eligible for an Engagement Grant.
- Primary project deliverables must be chosen from the IF/THEN® Project Library.
- At least one project must be selected and you may include more than one.
- At least one major display component must be included.
- Major display components are banners, exhibit panels, posters, video screens, or other large format displays that are placed in high traffic areas of the institution and/or used as a key element of outreach events.
- Primary project deliverables must be viewable in person. Projects may not be web-based only.
- Projects must highlight at least one person from the list of AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors. All projects in the library feature at least one Ambassador.
- All projects must include a plan for continued display or engagement for at least six months after major display components are complete.
- A narrative detailing how you will use the project(s) from the IF/THEN® Project Library, including any modifications you will make (800-word maximum).
- A detailed project budget with funding requests reasonable for the scope of work (Indirect costs are not allowable, see the Budget section below for more details).
- A project timeline indicating significant milestones.
All grantees will be required to:
- Plan media engagement (blog posts, news articles, social media posts, etc.) to tell the public about your project.
- Track and document grant expenditures.
- Submit a final report within 30 days of project completion, or by November 30, 2022, whichever comes first. ASTC will provide a template for the final report and the following information must be included:
- A short description (500-word maximum) of the project activities.
- High-resolution photos of the completed project deliverables.
- An estimate of the number of months your project will be on display.
- Estimates of the number of people who will view your project.
Applications for Engagement Grants will be reviewed on a rolling basis by ASTC and IF/THEN® Initiative staff. Selected organizations will be notified within two weeks of application. This program aims to serve a diversity of organizations in terms of institution size, type, geography, etc. Reviewers will consider this goal when assessing applications.
Requests for partnership support funding will be evaluated with consideration toward depth of engagement and audience reach. A total of ten grantees will be awarded partnership support funding. Engagement Grants may still be awarded even if a request for partnership support funding is declined.
Applicants will be required to provide a project budget. Project budgets must be reasonable for the scope of work and must include:
- Name for each expense category (e.g., supplies, staff time, printing, partnership support)
- Total amount of each category
- Brief explanation of expenses included in each category
Allowable expenses include, but are not limited to:
- Production costs
- Staff time directly related to producing and implementing project deliverables
Grant funds may not be used for:
- Indirect charges/administrative overhead
- Capital expenditures
- Alcoholic beverages
- Computer hardware that is not for public use (e.g., servers, computers for staff)
- Admission fees
- Purchase of stock photos
If programmatic components are included in your project plan, they should be provided at no cost to participants. Programs that are free with paid admission are acceptable.
Submit an application
Follow the link below to submit your grant application. You will be prompted to log in to your myASTC account to access the application. If you do not already have an account, you can create one for free.