Carnegie Science Center
ASTC 2022 Annual Conference
September 12–15, 2022
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
No place inspires curiosity and connects science and technology to everyday life like Carnegie Science Center. Recognized as a leader in promoting literacy in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), the Science Center is dedicated to nurturing the next generation of innovators and leaders who will rise to meet tomorrow’s workforce needs.
Already the region’s most visited museum, the Science Center’s hundreds of hands-on exhibits invite interactions that delight and inspire STEM career exploration and lifelong learning. The soon-to-be-realized Mars: The Next Giant Leap exhibition will complement a fully realized Buhl Planetarium renovation, encourage young people to consider how technology directly affects their lives every day, and motivate young guests to pursue careers in space technology right here in Pittsburgh.
- SpacePlace features a two-story, walk-in replica of the International Space Station and a 1⁄3-scale model of the Hubble Space Telescope.
- H2Oh!: Why Our Rivers Matter provides exploration of our waterways and inspiring conservation efforts.
- Highmark SportsWorks® showcases more than 20 exhibits, infusing fun into the science of sports, the human body, nutrition, and fitness.
- BNY Mellon Fab Lab Carnegie Science Center engages visitors in digital design and fabrication using high-tech software and hardware.
- BodyWorks uses interactive exhibits, live shows, and demonstrations to explore our muscles and bones, heart and lungs, digestive system, brain and nerves, and body basics.
- The Rangos Giant Cinema, equipped with a Certified Giant Screen, digital laser projection technology, and Dolby Atmos sound, provides significant opportunities for guests to enjoy a range of dynamic content, taking them from Cambodia to the Moon all in one day.
- Buhl Planetarium recently completed multimillion-dollar technology and infrastructure upgrades to provide the most immersive, full-dome experience in the region. Through grants, the team is rolling out a suite of programs that will be distributed nationally about human spaceflight and the engineering design process.
- Three demonstration theaters also serve up dynamic science daily, from nutrition to molten metal to explosive physics.
- USS Requin (SS 481), an authentic Cold War-era submarine, offers a hands-on history lesson, giving visitors an inside look at the lives of submariners.
- The Miniature Railroad & Village®, illuminating the cultural heritage of the region through stunningly realistic animated scenes.
- PPG SCIENCE PAVILION™ attracts visitors from beyond the region and expands the Science Center’s audience by offering world-class touring exhibitions.
In addition to classrooms throughout the campus, nine FedEx STEM Learning Labs in PPG SCIENCE PAVILION™ enable the Science Center education teams to reach students with award-winning STEM programs that inspire the future workforce. The Science Center has also expanded its offerings of camps and classes on topics such as space exploration, coding, and river chemistry.
Classrooms throughout the Science Center campus and in the PPG SCIENCE PAVILION™ FedEX STEM Learning Labs enable the education team to reach students and educators on-site and online. Virtual and outreach programs capitalize on the opportunity to reach underserved communities, expand the museum audience, and eliminate the barriers to travel.
ASTC participants who show their badge will receive 20% off in Carnegie Science Center’s Riverview Café during the entirety of the conference. ASTC badgeholders also receive a 20% discount in all four Carnegie Museum gift shops (The Andy Warhol Museum, Carnegie Museums of Art and Natural History, and Carnegie Science Center) throughout the conference.