Featured || | | | |
ASTC FEATURED JOB LISTINGS go here…
Posted March 15, 2017
Director of Advancement
Morehead Planetarium and Science Center
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
The Morehead Planetarium and Science Center (MPSC), a division of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, seeks an experienced, entrepreneurial, and dynamic fundraising leader as its next Director of Advancement. This position will report to the Executive Director of MPSC and will serve as chief development officer for all of MPSC’s fundraising activities.
Opened in 1949, Morehead Planetarium was the first planetarium in the South and the first planetarium anywhere in the world located on a university campus. Renamed Morehead Planetarium and Science Center in 2000, the organization now serves as the primary science outreach arm of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. MPSC has experienced tremendous growth since expanding its mission, increasing on-site and off-site attendance more than 600%. MPSC now serves 600,000 people annually and provides programs in all 100 counties in North Carolina.
The Director of Advancement will serve on the MPSC senior management team; will supervise three advancement professionals with responsibility for major gifts, annual fund, and development related communications; and manage volunteer leadership groups that include an Advisory Board and Council of former student employees (Alumni Council).
Working closely with MPSC’s Executive Director, the advancement team is responsible for raising approximately one-third of MPSC’s annual operating budget, which is currently $5.5 million. The new Director of Advancement will join a dynamic team: Support and revenues for MPSC have tripled over the past ten years. In addition, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is in the quiet phase of a multi-billion-dollar comprehensive campaign with plans to go public in October 2017, of which MPSC has a $15 million working goal that includes a $5.2 million facilities renovation and campaign currently underway.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible fundraising and program management experience
- History of meeting or exceeding ambitious revenue targets including a record of high-end fundraising results from individuals ($100,000+), in addition to success securing major gift support from corporations and foundations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to speak passionately about MPSC offerings in a sophisticated, but not overly academic way
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to develop relationships quickly, with the appropriate level of assertiveness to solicit and follow up with donor prospects in a timely manner
- A strategic, visionary, entrepreneurial, and driven leader
- Seasoned leader with a record of managing collaborative work environments and volunteer boards
- Goal, results, and detail-oriented, with exceptional planning and time-management skills
- Working knowledge of computer-related office tools and database management required
- Experience fundraising for a non-degree-granting unit of a university or other organization without an existing base of alumni is a plus
- Knowledge about UNC-Chapel Hill, MPSC, the sciences, and/or museum programming is a plus
- Communications experience is a plus
- Master’s degree preferred; bachelor’s degree required
To apply, visit unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/116588.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Posted February 24, 2017
Director of Graphic Design
San Francisco, California
The Exploratorium seeks a new Director of Graphic Design. The Director of Graphic Design manages the Graphics department, supervising a staff of designers, production artists, and photographers. This position sets design strategy for the institution’s design work, including print, online media, and campus signage. This position reports to the Director of the Exhibits & Media Studio.
Click here for more information and to apply.